For people who have had to do clean installs once in a while know the hassle of finding software and getting the OS back to the way you like it. And when installing a new OS it’s important to get those key settings fixed so they won’t cauase an issue for you in the future.
Hopefully you will find some helpful tips here.
Ninite is just a website that lets you create a custom .exe with the software you need. You basically pick the stuff you want and hit “Get Installer”. This way you don’t have to visit countless sites and fish for the up-to-date version. Cool right?
Some recommended sofware:
- Your preference in Web browser (I prefer Opera)
- Openoffice (If you don’t have MS Office and need it)
Driver and OS updates are probably the most important thing you can do when you have a clean Windows. And it’s important that you update them to let everything function as it’s intended to do.
Here are some tips:
- Graphics Driver (Nvidia, AMD)
- Motherboard drivers (Search for your motherboard on Google and pick the link from the manufacturer and from there look for downloads)
- Windows Update
- Mouse/keyboard driver/Software
- Expansion card drivers (Soundcard, TV-card etc.)
Tweaking Windows settings
Now, there are a lot of Windows settings that can either be turned off or disabled. And I will hopefully remember them all, here is a small list.
- Privacy: Settings > Privacy (or something like that) > Go through every tab and turn everything off. I mean EVERYTHING.
- Windows Update: Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update > Advanced Settings > Take away any checkmarks and choose the second option in the drop-down (Preference).
- Standards: Settings > System > Standard apps > Change to preferred software.
- High Performance: Search > Power > Switch from Balanced to High Performance.Remember to check through settings, schedules (Defragments, Updates, Restarts, Virusscan etc), keep your drivers, OS and software up to date and do regular checkups on how your PC is doing. A good recipe for a long life of computing.
Hope you got some some kind of help out of this!